The announcement by the NSW Government that they would hold a trial to simplify applications for cafés, restaurants and small bars in Parramatta is a welcome step in the right direction.

At present it can take up to nine months just to complete the paperwork for these businesses (and that doesn’t include the public consultation or time for processing) and cost applicants almost $4000!  And this is before they’ve sold a single cappuccino.

At present the following applications and registrations ae required to open a cafe, restaurant or small bar in NSW;

  • Register a company or limited partnership
  • Register an Australian Business Number (ABN)
  • Apply for an Administrator AUSkey
  • Register a business name
  • Register your business for Goods and Services Tax (GST)
  • Apply for a business Tax File Number
  • Apply for development consent
  • Prepare and lodge a complying development application
  • Apply to install a street awning or a business sign
  • Apply for a zoning certificate
  • Apply to make changes to a heritage listed place
  • Apply to operate a business on reserved land
  • Apply for a Construction Certificate
  • Appoint a Principal Certifying Authority
  • Apply for a Fire Safety Certificate
  • Apply for a Compliance Certificate
  • Apply for an Occupation Certificate
  • Apply to discharge commercial trade waste water
  • Apply to place commercial waste in a public place
  • Apply for a licence to play music at your business
  • Appoint a food safety supervisor
  • Prepare for a regular food inspection
  • Apply to use public land for outdoor dining
  • Meet food safety requirements
  • Apply for a Small Bar licence
  • Apply for Extended Trading Authorisation (small bar)
  • Apply for an on-premises licence (cafe or restaurant)
  • Apply for Primary Service Authorisation
  • Apply for a Liquor Approved Manager licence
  • Appoint a Liquor Approved Manager
  • Prepare a Community Impact Statement
  • Apply for a National Police Certificate
  • Undertake Responsible Service of Alcohol (RSA) training
  • Apply for an RSA competency card
  • Order Liquor and Gaming NSW signage
  • Comply with liquor laws and licence conditions
  • Comply with Fair Work requirements
  • Comply with long service leave requirements
  • Paying employees at award rates
  • Register for PAYG withholding
  • Register for the superannuation clearing house
  • Use the Superannuation Guarantee Contributions Calculator
  • Comply with work health and safety laws
  • Apply for a worker’s compensation insurance policy
  • Register for the small business grant
  • Register a trade mark
  • Register a domain name for your business
  • Get liability insurance for your business
  • Meet requirements for displaying or advertising prices
  • Comply with outdoor dining smoke-free laws

Under the new model, applicants will still have to fill out the basic forms (ABN, TFN, GST, etc), but their involvement with the Parramatta City Council could be as little as completing one form and a 15-minute discussion with the local council.  That’s it!

Sure it could take longer if there are problems with where or how you want to develop your business and the trial may throw up some unexpected complications but this new attitude is a great change.

Hopefully, this leads to even more simplification across the state and even the country.